Living in a stressful environment can be hazardous to your health. Look at the how many things that can easily make that big vein in your head your pop. Just reading your social media post is enough to get me going.
So, how should we relax, keep our mind sane and our body healthy? One of the most effective & simplest method is by using your sense of smell.
“Scent has the power to affect your actions. It can also be a great tool to get better sleep.”– National Sleep Foundation
The power of scent can be utilized to reduce anxiety pressures and stress. That is the reason there is unwinding, stress decreasing services offered by spa establishments called aromatherapy that has a aromatic healing effect, much like massage treatments, but utilizing the calming scent of essential oils achieve a similar objective.
Here are a few scents that can be used for several purpose:
1. Peppermint –
• Headache: Peppermint oil is terrific to keep on hand at your desk or in your purse, especially if you are prone to headaches. The use of this oil has also been known to effectively lessen tandem symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to noise and sensitivity to light.
• Stress: Like many other essential oils, peppermint can provide relief from stress, depression and mental exhaustion due to its refreshing nature. It is also effective against feeling anxious and restless.
For stress relief, the combination of peppermint, lavender and geranium essential oils added to a warm bath help relieve stiffness while absorbed through the skin.
• Energy/Alertness: Peppermint oil powerfully affects and improves mental clarity and raises energy levels. If you’re trying to cut back on caffeine, this may be a blessing to your mid-afternoon lull.
Try aromatherapy by using a candle lamp diffuser with essential oils.
2. Cedarwood –
• Insomnia: Its aroma elevates the release of serotonin in the brain which converts to melatonin and encourages restful sleep and a peaceful mind.
Place a few drops of cedarwood oil on your pillow cover so you can inhale the aroma all night. Use cedarwood oil in your room diffuser to fill the air with the scent.
3. Lavender –
• Sleeplessness: Lavender is traditionally alleged to have a variety of therapeutic properties like inducing relaxation and improve sleep quality. Using lavender oil improves the overall quality of sleep by 60% which includes the length of sleep, time it took to fall asleep and reduced symptoms of insomnia.
Just a dub on pillows and bedsheets can promote a deeper, more rejuvenating sleep!
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. mHO is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of mHO and mHO does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.